As part of our graduate course, Ideation and Prototyping, we participated in the Open IDEO Design Challenge and worked in teams.
DURATION: 3 months
TEAM: Joanna, Will, Ryan, Yu-Husuan and Cherisha
TOOLS: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Invision, Sketch
MY ROLE: Worked as UI/UX Designer in the group as we went through Open IDEO's design challenge. This was a great way to learn to apply the design thinking process in a practical manner. This challenge helped me learn about the design thinking process in detail and to collaborate for a project which involved many hats. I was actively involved in user interviews and managed the ideation process. I also created multiple iterations of the mobile gaming experience prototype and helped envision the future steps of the project.
Our design thinking project was focused on the following OpenIDEO statement.
We followed a rigorous design process to arrive at an effective solution to address the design challenge. The steps are detailed below along with the showcase of our work.
Our research included interviewing various people connected to sexual health around the world. My research focused on talking to an organization in India called How to Tell Your Child, which is a nonprofit organization that provides educators and parents a platform with easy, fun and interactive tools like animated videos, interactive books and merchandise to teach children tough topics like sexual abuse and puberty. I also interviewed Josiane Hudicourt-Barnes who is an education advisor in Haiti and Maureen Plaisimond who works with Matenwa, a community learning center which is an innovator in the field of education and has developed incredible programs in Haiti. These interviews really helped us gain some valuable insights.
Sometimes it was difficult to get research information from organizations as the topic was sensitive. But our team persisted and also interviewed with sexual educators, health clinic professionals and high school students.
During the Ideation phase, we consolidated our research insights and came up with different ideas to solve the problem at hand. We were quite excited about multiple ideas and it was difficult to pick one main idea. Our research indicated that one of the major issues was the increase in spread of STDs and rise in teen pregnancies in NYC. I was actively involved in gathering the insights from all the team members and facilitating the process to come up with a key design solution to solve the challenge at hand. After consolidating all our research and brainstorming, we came up with our design statement.
During this phase, we came up with engaging narrative posters and a text-based interactive gaming experience for young teens in NYC to understand the consequences of casual sexual activities by learning in a more playful and interesting manner.
4) User Testing
To test how the idea would work in public, we put the poster near a high school in Brooklyn and observed how young teenagers would react to it. We also asked the students a few questions and captured their feedback. We were happy to find that a lot of students stopped by to see the poster as that implied our design was visually capturing their attention. But we also found that while some teens did not know how to use their phone to scan the QR code, few others did not have unlimited internet on their phone. However, the students did say that they wanted to see more stories from this project. We incorporated the feedback, modified the poster accordingly and proceeded to design the text-based interactive gaming experience.
It was only after prototyping and testing the posters and the gaming experience with users, we arrived at a conclusion to combine both ideas into one integrated design solution that effectively solves the problem. We never considered this in the earlier ideation phase, hence showing the importance of prototyping, user testing and iteration.
Our mobile app design went through a couple of iterations. Based on the feedback received and the progress of our script for the gaming experience, I designed the mobile app screens with a few variations based on color theme, avatar suggestions and overall look and feel and repeated the process until the final design was agreed upon.
6) Final Design
The final design of the mobile game can be seen in the interactive prototype here.
The video below showcases the entire story line of our project.